Re: Status of golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-middleware

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 12:58:29PM +0530, Praveen Arimbrathodiyil wrote:

> On 23/11/22 4:34 am, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > On 11/22/22 17:17, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > > Hi zigo,
> > >
> > > I can see you have tagged a new version of
> > > golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-middleware in salsa, but it is
> > > not in the archive, did you forget to upload it?
> > >
> > > commit c59dc047bfb4e28f58d1bd7b4ded0ddbf7416cf2 (HEAD -> master,
> > > tag: debian/1.3.0-1, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It was uploaded to Experimental, but then there was issues with protbuf
> > 1.4 removal that also removed my upload of
> > golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-middleware.
> >
> > Now, we're at a point where trying to rebuild golang-google-genproto and
> > golang-google-grpc with golang-github-golang-protobuf-1-5-dev fails,
> > because they build-depends on each other... We need to find a fix for
> > this fast! :/
> >
> >  From IRC logs:
> > <zhsj> zigo: no one has figured out the path.
> > <zhsj> iirc, i have broke the circular once in 2017, at least the
> > README.source says that...
> >
> > Any idea?
>
> In javascript team, in such cases, we use npmjs.com provided packages to
> bootstrap, then do a binary included upload, and then a source only upload
> for testing migration.
>
> Install one of them locally with go get, build the second one with the
> locally provided first build dep, upload. Clean build the first one with the
> package from the archive, once rebuilt by buildd, source only upload of
> second one.
>
> Its not very elegant but works. Other option is to add this as vendor, I
> remember another thread talking about vendoring generated protos as well.
> But we will have to still figure our the exact steps.

To just add in a bit to the context, I happened to suggest something similar
on IRC few days back, but as it seems vendoring won't really work all that well.
Log:

<zhsj> the problem is how to keep genproto at old version.
<zhsj> but still bump grpc-go.
<zhsj> use vendor dir in library is not useful, as the go compiler only consumes the first level vendor.

--
Best,