Re: Status of golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-middleware

On 23/11/22 4:34 am, Thomas Goirand wrote:
On 11/22/22 17:17, Pirate Praveen wrote:
Hi zigo,

I can see you have tagged a new version of golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-middleware in salsa, but it is not in the archive, did you forget to upload it?

commit c59dc047bfb4e28f58d1bd7b4ded0ddbf7416cf2 (HEAD -> master, tag: debian/1.3.0-1, origin/master, origin/HEAD)

Hi,

It was uploaded to Experimental, but then there was issues with protbuf 1.4 removal that also removed my upload of golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-middleware.

Now, we're at a point where trying to rebuild golang-google-genproto and golang-google-grpc with golang-github-golang-protobuf-1-5-dev fails, because they build-depends on each other... We need to find a fix for this fast! :/

 From IRC logs:
<zhsj> zigo: no one has figured out the path.
<zhsj> iirc, i have broke the circular once in 2017, at least the README.source says that...

Any idea?

In javascript team, in such cases, we use npmjs.com provided packages to bootstrap, then do a binary included upload, and then a source only upload for testing migration.

Install one of them locally with go get, build the second one with the locally provided first build dep, upload. Clean build the first one with the package from the archive, once rebuilt by buildd, source only upload of second one.

Its not very elegant but works. Other option is to add this as vendor, I remember another thread talking about vendoring generated protos as well. But we will have to still figure our the exact steps.

see this https://lists.debian.org/debian-go/2022/11/msg00071.html

Or can we use tools written in any other language to bootstrap?

can we use protoc command line from protobuf-compiler to replace golang-google-genproto build dependency?