Re: Best approach for packaging new major version of package that contains version

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 10:56 AM Nilesh Patra <nilesh@nileshpatra.info> wrote:

> On 7/2/22 1:46 AM, Mathias Gibbens wrote:
> >    I am going to need to package version 3.0.0 of golang-gopkg-macaroon-
> > bakery, as the [...] However, the current package in Debian for this library
> > is named "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v2" [...]
>
> > the group consensus is for the preferred
> > name for the new package: "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v3" or just
> > plain "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery".
>
> golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v3

Neither is not right. As the import path is
github.com/go-macaroon-bakery/macaroon-bakery/v3.
Not gopkg.io/macaroon-bakery.v2.

Please differentiate the _gopkg.io_ and _github.com_.

For gopkg.io, the version name must be encoded in the package name.

For _github.com_, you're free to use either forms for the new
package(It's new, since no existing package is called
golang-github-go-macaroon-bakery-macaroon-bakery).

--
Shengjing Zhu