Best approach for packaging new major version of package that contains version

Hi all,

  I am going to need to package version 3.0.0 of golang-gopkg-macaroon-
bakery, as the latest version of golang-github-canonical-candid has
updated its required version and the next release of LXD will likely be
doing the same. However, the current package in Debian for this library
is named "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v2" -- obviously I shouldn't
just bump up to major version three!

  So, I wanted to ask what the group consensus is for the preferred
name for the new package: "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v3" or just
plain "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery". The advantage of the first is
that any other package depending on it will never get a surprise major
version bump, but the downside is each new major version will have to
go through NEW. Using the second means the package will only have to go
though NEW once, regardless of any future major version bumps.

  I'm fine with either, and will file an ITP once I hear back from the
group. At the moment there's only one other package in main that
depends on golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v2 (golang-github-canonical-
candid).

  I'm also planning to copy the existing git repo for golang-gopkg-
macaroon-bakery.v2 and then update the packaging for version 3.0.0 and
whatever package name is settled on to retain the previous git history.
Should I also keep the d/changelog entries and make a note about the
change in the package name, or should I start d/changelog off fresh?

Thanks,
Mathias