Re: Best approach for packaging new major version of package that contains version

On 7/2/22 1:46 AM, Mathias Gibbens wrote:
   I am going to need to package version 3.0.0 of golang-gopkg-macaroon-
bakery, as the [...] However, the current package in Debian for this library
is named "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v2" [...]

the group consensus is for the preferred
name for the new package: "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v3" or just
plain "golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery".

golang-gopkg-macaroon-bakery.v3

It is team protocol to bump up source+bin package as per import path, which
has a v3 appended in this case[1].

   I'm also planning to copy the existing git repo for golang-gopkg-
macaroon-bakery.v2 and then update the packaging for version 3.0.0 and
whatever package name is settled on to retain the previous git history.
Should I also keep the d/changelog entries and make a note about the
change in the package name, or should I start d/changelog off fresh?

Start off fresh.

[1]: https://github.com/go-macaroon-bakery/macaroon-bakery/blob/v3/go.mod#L1

--
Best,