Feedback about LXD packaging

Hi,

first thanks for the effort put into packaging LXD!

I tried building lxd package on a fresh debian sid.
from the sources at https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/lxd/
using `dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b`, not sure if this is the correct way but it seems to work fine so far.

I have some feedback about some errors I got while building:

----

> # github.com/canonical/go-dqlite/internal/bindings

> src/github.com/canonical/go-dqlite/internal/bindings/server.go:11:10: > fatal error: dqlite.h: No such file or directory

>    11 | #include <dqlite.h>

>       |          ^~~~~~~~~~

> compilation terminated.

I fixed by it by installing  libdqlite-dev

This should probably be added as a build-dependency to lxd.

----

> github.com/canonical/go-dqlite/internal/bindings

> google.golang.org/grpc/balancer/base

> # github.com/canonical/go-dqlite/internal/bindings

> src/github.com/canonical/go-dqlite/internal/bindings/server.go:12:10: > fatal error: raft.h: No such file or directory

>    12 | #include <raft.h>

>       |          ^~~~~~~~

> compilation terminated.

I fixed by it by installing  libraft-dev
This should probably be added as a build-dependency to lxd.

----

> github.com/lxc/lxd/lxd/cluster

> # github.com/lxc/lxd/lxd/cluster

> src/github.com/lxc/lxd/lxd/cluster/recover.go:166:15: undefined: dqlite.ReconfigureMembershipExt

lxd requires golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite-dev >= 1.10.1

Build dependency exists but it should also specify the minimum version.

----

> # github.com/lxc/lxd/lxd/vsock

> src/github.com/lxc/lxd/lxd/vsock/vsock.go:17:31: too many arguments in > call to vsock.Dial

> 	have (uint32, uint32, nil)

> 	want (uint32, uint32)

> src/github.com/lxc/lxd/lxd/vsock/vsock.go:22:28: too many arguments in > call to vsock.Listen

> 	have (uint32, nil)

> 	want (uint32)

lxd requires golang-github-mdlayher-vsock to be at least version 1.0.0

Build dependency exists but it should also specify the minimum version.

----

I built the following packages locally (latest version from salsa git):

- golang-github-canonical-candid
- golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite
- golang-github-juju-aclstore
- golang-github-mdlayher-ndp

other dependencies are from sid packages.

I am currently stuck at building golang-github-mdlayher-vsock which seems to require a newer version of the golang-github-mdlayher-socket package which matches the state documented at

https://gobby.debian.org/export/Teams/Go/lxd-dep-packaging

is there anything I can do to help with in upgrading these?

I have not much experience in Go but I have created debian packages before.

best regards,

Carsten

--
cebe.cloud - Carsten Brandt