Re: Reintroducing src:toxiproxy for its -dev package

On Thu, 2022-11-24 at 11:40 +0800, Shengjing Zhu wrote:

> While reading #940453, I find shopify-sarama depends toxiproxy
> previously (940453#15). But shopify-sarama is in testing. So I give
> another check why the new version needs toxiproxy again.
>
> It seems it's only used in tests. And I don't think these tests is
> runnable on buildd. These tests need to setup a toxiproxy server...
> But luckily, they are guarded by a non-default build tag, so you
> don't need to patch anything.
>
> So it seems you don't need it at all?

Nilesh and Shengjing,

  Thanks for your comments! At the time I hadn't looked closely at the
actual use of the toxiproxy library in golang-github-shopify-sarama,
and it is indeed only needed by some of the tests. So, for now I'll
just ignore that. :)

  I did find one other sticking point on updating this package, and it
was just recently discussed on this list: golang-github-pierrec-lz4.v4.
Version 4 of that library is a dependency for updating golang-github-
shopify-sarama, and it looks like there's been some trouble packaging
golang-github-pierrec-lz4.v4 due to missing licensing information in
some of the test data. I'll see about looking into that, but it may not
be for a while.

  To Nilesh's comment about vendoring of code, I personally don't favor
that approach. While it might work to get a specific package in, it
also don't do any favors for the next person who comes along also
needing the vendored code. While packaging dependencies (of
dependencies...) may not be the most exciting thing in the world, I
don't mind doing the work so that they are properly available in the
archive for anyone who might also depend on them in the future.

Mathias