Re: LXD packages - feedback and suggestion related to lxd-agent and dnsmasq

Hi Sylvain,

On Thu, 2022-12-01 at 21:09 +0100, Sylvain Tgz wrote:
> Hello
>
> To get started, I would like to thank the team for the LXD package.
>
> I've just bootstrapped a bookworm install and played with LXD.
> Packages work fine, finally i didn't find any issue. Therefore, I
> would like to send my feedback and suggestions.

  Thanks for testing and your suggestions!

> - lxd-agent
> I think you should set lxd-agent in the recommended section instead
> suggested. I didn't see that you created a usefull wiki page with
> information and I spend some time to understand why VM didn't see lxd
> agent until I read lxd-agen description ;).
> With other virtualization solution we install the
> agent/addon/guesttool on the guest only. I think that a lot of user
> will discover LXD will have the same issue like me.

  I think that sounds reasonable. I personally don't make use of LXD's
VM capabilities, so that's why I had put lxd-agent as suggested, rather
than recommended. However, if making it recommended reduces out-of-box
confusion/frustration, I'm all for that.

  Also, most of the information on the Debian wiki LXD page is
contained within LXD's README.debian file. ;) (I need to synchronize
some of the changes on the wiki page with the salsa repo.)

  I'll make the change to lxd-agent being recommended by lxd -- no need
to file a bug report about that.

> - dnsmasq
> In my case, I manage LXD network by other tool but, dnsmasq is set as
> depends. I would like to be able to not install dnsmasq but in this
> case is not possible.
> I suggest to push dnsmasq as recommended. Some changes to the dpkg
> scripts seem necessary.

  Please open a bug for this. LXD makes use of dnsmasq for setting up
the default network bridge, which is automatically created if you just
accept the defaults when doing a `sudo lxd init` after install. I
haven't looked into what the consequences would be if dnsmasq wasn't
available, but we certainly don't want to break the default install of
LXD. I would like to track this more formally in the BTS, so please
feel free to file a bug.

Thanks,
Mathias