Re: golang-goprotobuf 1.4+ (Was Re: disruptive uploads)

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 2:23 AM Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> wrote:
> For go protobuf v2, there is one known breakage, which is the
> golang-gogoprotobuf package,
> However this package:
> 1. is dead, and looking for new maintainer
> https://github.com/gogo/protobuf/issues/691
> 2. too many packages are still using it
> 3. golang-gogoprotobuf only has relationship with golang-goprotobuf,
> not golang-google-protobuf.

The breakage also affects the generated pb.go files.
So if a library's pb.go is generted by protobuf v2, and package is
using gogo-protobuf and that library, it may panic at runtime.

This doesn't seems fixable, so solution I come is to vendor the old
pb.go files which are generated by protobuf v1.

--
Shengjing Zhu