Re: Podman 3.0 and Debian bullseye

On Sunday, 31 January 2021 1:08:36 PM AEDT Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> A low-effort workaround could be to add a build-dependency on podman to
> prevent it from building on mipsen.

Thank you for advise. I shall do that to allow migration.

> > No it hasn't... :( There is a serious regression:
> >   https://github.com/hashicorp/nomad-driver-podman/issues/69
>
> I'm having a hard time considering this a "serious" regression. The problem
> as far as I understand is that while the driver does work fine with the
> new REST interface, it doesn't allow you to upload images in OCI format
> from local disk.
> If you instead chose to have imaged pulled from a (local) image registry,
> the driver would work fine.

Do you have experience operating local container registry??
I have and I can tell that it is not fun, to say the least. Docker registry
leaks disk space because it does not garbage collect some images...
Neither does it like Buildah/Podman's native image format, although it
can be remedied by building images with "export BUILDAH_FORMAT=docker".

IMHO just saving built images to network share is the best, easiest, most
reliable way of deploying local images. It is the best to avoid Docker
registry whenever possible.

> Blocking podman 3.0 because of this is something I can't get behind.
> But maybe I'm missing something else here?

I hope my answer above helps to understand the issue...

--
Cheers,
 Dmitry Smirnov

---

Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    -- Albert Einstein

---

Your Facebook friends are wrong about the lockdown. A non-hysterics's guide
to COVID-19 by Tom Woods.
    -- https://wrongaboutlockdown.com/