Re: Podman 3.0 and Debian bullseye

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 21:52 Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:
On Monday, 25 January 2021 12:02:26 PM AEDT Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>  - Podman 3 drops the legacy varlink interface. To the best of my
> knowledge, there are no packages in debian/testing that would require
> varlink (please correct me if I'm wrong here). Not having to support
> varlink in Debian seems a support benefit, there is little to no love
> for it upstream.

Varlink is needed by Nomad/nomad-driver-podman. Unfortunately
"nomad-driver-podman" is not ready for new HTTP API due to some problems
with it (strangely enough Varlink interface is more mature at this point).

has never made it to testing, which makes me wonder whether
it'll make it to bullseye.

On the tradeoff "podman 3.0 with docker-compose" support vs.
a "nomad driver for podman", I see more value for (more of)
our users for the newer podman. I base that on popcon numbers:

 - nomand: 35
 - nomad-driver-podman: 4
 - podman: 340

I'm running some of my infrastructure on "nomad-driver-podman" and loss
of Varlink is not acceptable to me until Podman and nomad-driver-podman
resolve some of the issues. I might happen soon, let's hope, but we wouldn't
know until it happen...

Ouch, that's indeed unfortunate.  Luckily it seems that issue
has been fixed in latest master of nomad-driver-podman, cf.

Maybe you can integrate that change into the Debian package?

Best,
-rt