Re: Basics of packaging with the new workflow

On 24/02/2020 04:37, Anthony Fok wrote:

> That said, I can totally understand the sentiments attached to "master".
> To keep using "master" as debian-branch, simply use the -dep14=false
> option, like so:

Please, don't!

We have been trying to standarise processes for years, we have had many
discussions and agreements. I have put a lot of hard work onto that, and
many times I had found my work clobbered by somebody who did not like or
ignored what has been agreed and done, and again I had to manually fix
stuff.

Dmitry has been refusing to accept the team's agreements for as long as
we have been discussing about it, and so far I have never seen him
contribute anything more than "I don't like it" to the discussion.

We have agreed to things more than 2 years ago, and if people still
refuse to even try to follow these policies, they make everybody's work
more difficult.

> I have some of my own attachments too, e.g. I think pristine-tar
> branch can be kept even in the new workflow: pristine-tar may have
> issue with XZ-compressed tarball, but it is often fine for
> GZIP-compressed tarballs, which is the case for unpacked upstream
> release tarballs provided by GitHub, which probably applies to a
> majority of the package nowadays.  And that's why the packager may
> choose to run dh-make-golang with "-pristine-tar=true" to let
> dh-make-golang create the pristine-tar branch as before.

You can keep pristine-tar if you like it, it does not affect anybody
(but there is really no benefit). The build should depend on it, the git
upstream/* tag should be the canonical upstream source, if you do depend
on it, then you are forcing everybody to deal with pristine-tar.

> That said, consistency across packages would be nice too as it allows
> us to save time and effort, and allows for more automation.
> But yeah, allowing individual's preference is important too.  Hard to
> say, hoho!  I will leave it up to other team members to reach a
> consensus.

Again, we have had this discussion a dozen times already. We had agreed
to move towards homogeneous processes & team ownership of packages. This
was reinforced in the last pkg-go BoF at DebConf. I want to help the
team grow and work better, but I am tired of discussing the same thing
over and over again. If we can't accept that consensus, let's have a
vote; but if everybody continues doing whatever they want, it is unworkable.

Tina.