Re: Basics of packaging with the new workflow

On Friday, 28 February 2020 3:24:50 AM AEDT Martina Ferrari wrote:
> Dmitry has been refusing to accept the team's agreements for as long as
> we have been discussing about it, and so far I have never seen him
> contribute anything more than "I don't like it" to the discussion.

I want to explain why even "I don't like it" should be enough without any
further details.

We may be using different tools, approaches, methodology and having our own
preferences. Pragmatic or ideological. We don't have to agree on how to do
things in order to respect each others work.

There is no problem if you produce meaningful _recommendations_ and let the
new team policy to win hearts and minds of maintainers who might eventually
be convinced of its superiority, if it is really that good.

But when you try to _demand_ everyone to comply with your policy, accuse them
for non-compliance and use coercive rhetoric like "we've already decided
everything without you", it creates unwelcoming and hostile environment.

In the spirit of diversity statement we can and should appreciate our
differences as it is the very principle that is largely responsible for
Debian success. "One workflow fits all" is a naive approach so let's not
force it for whatever reason.

Another reason why "I don't like it" (or perhaps "please don't do it") should
be enough is that you have to _weighten the input_ instead of dismissing it
lightheartedly.

I hate to make this argument but I know no other way to shake your confidence
and make you to step down from the high horse.

I've lost count of packages that I've introduced to Debian, some of them
arguably are among the most difficult and sophisticated packages. I've been
actively working on a diverse portfolio of packages for about a decade, not
limited to Golang packages. There are up to 3 times more packages in my DDPO
page than in yours. There are some packages where you've injected yourself
to Uploaders without doing much work or even single upload, while until
recently I've been doing exactly the opposite - just doing Team uploads and
avoiding to declare myself as Uploader to avoid DDPO page bloat.
Last year I've found myself being ranked number 11 by the number of uploads
-- according to that ranking the gap between our contributions is even
greater.

I think it is fair to say that I have more experience than you - that's why I
expect you to acknowledge when I say something about packaging and I'm
telling you that with strict compliance to DEP-14 and GBP repository layout I
would not be able to accomplish as much as I've been doing.

Fortunately you have no authority to force a new policy here so we don't have
to convince each other. Recommendation is good enough.

> but if everybody continues doing whatever they want, it is
> unworkable.

No it is not. Effective team work is self-organising because co-maintainers
are willing to work together and make some compromises when necessary.
Demanding compliance with one workflow is unnecessary.

--
Cheers,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

The more false we destroy the more room there will be for the true.
         -- Robert G. Ingersoll, 1902