Re: Basics of packaging with the new workflow

Hi,

On 22/02/2020 18:03, Shengjing Zhu wrote:

> I find it hard to reply on every detail paragraph.
>
> As I said in my previous email, dh-make-golang has implemented the new
> workflow, and it's the default mode.

Honestly, I only learned about that when i was preparing this write-up..
I somehow missed the announcement!

Is it the default now? my copy had it marked as experimental.

> So when you create a new package with dh-make-golang, it creates two
> branches for you,
> + debian/sid
> + upstream
> upstream branch contains upstream history.

I did a brief test, and noticed that the upstream branch always contains
a merge commit, so it is not pristine upstream history. Not a big deal,
and is definitely a way to solve the problem with upstream history I
described, but a diversion from the agreed workflow.

> If the vendor directory should be removed, it still needs manual process.

This probably warrants an option or command to deal with this properly?

> And, dh-make-golang will tell you how to update the package too.
> The instruction is to `gbp import-orig --sign-tags --uscan
> --upstream-vcs-tag=<commit-ish>`
> gbp will do the work for you, like
> + merging upstream history on upstream branch
> + comparing the orig tarball which may exclude vendor directory, and
> generating a merging commit in upstream branch.
> + create upstream/* tags

Unless I am mistaken, this does something completely different to what I
would expect: it will fetch a tarball and use it to update the upstream
branch, which will then have the actual commit as a parent. That is not
the same as keeping upstream history, in fact it will make it a lot more
complicated to analyse upstream history. This is a showstopper for me,
and renders much of the new workflow ideas useless..