Re: Upload and unblock request for buster

On 5/14/19 10:03 AM, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 10:45 AM Arnaud Rebillout
<arnaud.rebillout@collabora.com> wrote:
So, if I understand properly these docs, and assuming that right now I have docker `18.09.1+dfsg1-7` in debian unstable, I would have to do two things:

1. upload a package with version `18.09.1+dfsg1-7+deb10u1` to testing-proposed-updates

I see unstable has 18.09.1+dfsg1-6, and I suppose
18.09.1+dfsg1-6+deb10u1 is right, base on my previous experience on
#927304

2. also upload a new package to unstable, with a version bump to ensure the version in unstable is above the version in testing-proposed-update.

Probably not needed.

Just my 2 cents, the release team may have their decisions. So just
ask pre-approval on the original unblock bug.

Just to follow up on that: so the right way to version a package in testing-proposed-updates is actually to append a suffix with a `~` rather than a `+`. This way, the version for the package in testing is both *different* and *lower* compared to the version in unstable, and there's no need to change the version in unstable.

Practical example with docker.io at the moment:

- testing: 18.09.1+dfsg1-7~deb10u1
- unstable: 18.09.1+dfsg1-7

For those interested in the matter, and still baffled by this magic, may I quote https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#version:

The lexical comparison is a comparison of ASCII values modified so that all the letters sort earlier than all the non-letters and so that a tilde sorts before anything, even the end of a part. For example, the following parts are in sorted order from earliest to latest: ~~, ~~a, ~, the empty part, a.

Cheers,

  Arnaud