Re: how to help with docker.io ?

Thanks for forwarding this email to us, Michael.

We've already exchanged few emails with shirish.

On Thursday, 27 September 2018 6:53:11 AM AEST Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> [+cc docker-maint, Arnaud (who did substantial work on docker and its
> dependencies), Dmitry (who last touched the package)]

Although Arnaud helped a lot, I did substantial work on Docker and its
dependencies (not merely "last touched the package").

> Arnaud, Dmitry, any advice as to how people can best help with docker?

IMHO most of the effort is with Docker's enormous dependency tree so we
always have to package new dependencies (they keep adding more with every
release, not caring the slightest about code bloat); take care of bugs, tests
and everything. One have to remember that Docker is more than 100 packages
that need good maintenance hence team effort is the only sustainable way to
ensure good health of those packages.

I'm planning to eventually retire from Docker maintenance.

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 7:36 PM shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Now I don't know any coding but I do know my way about git a bit and
> > have used both docker and cowbuilder to help developers. Somebody
> > would need to tell me what it needed and guide me a bit and I hope I
> > can play my bit part to see docker remain in Debian at least till
> > Buster is released.

We need more man power, not great skills. :)

https://mentors.debian.net/qa is a good source of maintainer's wisdom and
whatever questions you have, you are welcome to ask here - I'm sure everybody
will be happy to help. Welcome. :)

--
All the best,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

On one level, wisdom is nothing more profound than an ability to follow
one’s own advice.
        -- Sam Harris, Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion