Who owns /etc/default/locale?

I have two systems.  Both track unstable, and have package
locales at version 2.0.16.

On one system, package locales owns /etc/default/locale, on the other,
it doesn't.  Should the file be owned by locales or not?

Could the situation arise by upgrades?  One system is 4 years old
(upgraded weekly or better), the other just two months old.  Surely it
isn't architecture dependent (one is x86, the second is amd64)?

SYSTEM 1

root@lilavati{~}dpkg --list locales
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                          Version                       Description
+++-=============================-=============================-==========================================================================
ii  locales                       2.7-16                        GNU C Library: National Language (locale) data [support]
root@lilavati{~}dpkg --search /etc/default/locale
locales: /etc/default/locale

SYSTEM 2

steve@riemann{tools}dpkg --list locales
ii  locales                       2.7-16                        GNU C Library: National Language (locale) data [support]

steve@riemann{tools}dpkg --search /etc/default/locale
dpkg: /etc/default/locale not found.

-Steve