Re: Who owns /etc/default/locale?

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 09:43 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> I have two systems.  Both track unstable, and have package
> locales at version 2.0.16.
>
> On one system, package locales owns /etc/default/locale, on the other,
> it doesn't.  Should the file be owned by locales or not?

I have question which is directly related: shouldn't a package own and
declare all the configuration files that it uses, even if it doesn't
install or modify it?

* If one purges a package, then reinstall it, then he/she wants to have
  a maintainer's behavior.
* Two packages that uses the same configuration files should either :
  - agree on the file's format, and know who manage the file (so the
    second program [Depends|Recommend|Suggest] on the first package,
    that own the file),
  - or "Conflict" with each other.

/me put on my post-lenny TODO list to send a patch for the policy, and
submit a patch for lintian.

Franklin