Re: glibc 2.6 patch status

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 03:46:23PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 5/19/07, Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> wrote:
> >> Better put, when would you like these patches cleaned up?
> >
> >I'm just in a hurry to get the packaging tweaked so that I can build and
> >upload 2.6 to experimental, whether or not we have regressions from 2.5.
> >Then we can see how it builds and works everywhere, get the outstanding
> >patches re-evaluated and refactored, and figure out where to go from
> >there.
>
> Do you have a timeline for that?

  not really, though we may want to push 2.6 in unstable during debconf
(16-24th june).

> >We want the patches cleaned up before 2.6 goes into unstable, and it's
> >unlikely that 2.6 will go into unstable before 2.5 gets pushed into
> >testing.
>
> What is the criteria for moving glibc 2.6 from experimental to unstable?

  we don't want to push a new libc upstream 'till the previous one
hasn't migrated to testing. When a libc is stuck in unstable, as pretty
everything depends upon it, it blocks everything in debian. Not nice.

  So basically the blockers are:
  * wait for 2.5 to enter (I'm not really sure what blocks it right now,
    only some build issues on ARM if I'm right) ;
  * wait enough time for a fair amount of package that we previously
    blocked can transition ;
  * have the glibc2.6 packaging roughly been done.

  I'd say (1) is a matter of days, (2) a couple of weeks, and (3) is
currently worked on by Clint, but should also basically last a couple of
weeks, until we've tried enough tests to see how it performs on enough
archs (this is obviously parallel to (2)).

  IMHO the first "real" uploads of libc6 will be like I said during
debconf.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit