Re: Good results with libc6 snapshot

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:35:04AM -0800, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> Art Haas wrote:
>
> >That is bad to hear. I'm running the libc6 snapshot on an old Pentium-MMX
> >machine, and will be shortly running it on my SparcStation 20 (sparc32)
> >when I get around to doing the install.
> >
> >Installation for me was a matter of downloading libc6, libc6-dev,
> >glibc-doc, and locales into one directory and then
> >
> ># dpkg -i libc*.deb locales*.deb glibc-doc*.deb
> >
> >Things worked without a hitch.
> >
> Ah... maybe the problem is that I installed libc6-i686. I need that for
> NPTL threads which is the main reason I'm upgrading.

I upgraded so I could test out the release as well as pick up all the
fixes that were in the newer release. A 2.3.5 release will have even
more fixes and I am hopeful to see that release packaged as soon as
possible.

> Hm... It also looks like libc6-i686 depends on libc6 which seems a bit
> odd. Wondering if this is the problem I'm having....

One of the libc6 maintainers would be able to answer that. I didn't
bother with the i686 package due to the machine being a i586-based
box. I have to believe that people with newer machines have successfully
installed and run the snapshot, though.

Art Haas

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822