Re: r1026 - in glibc-package/trunk/debian: . debhelper.in local/etc_init.d rules.d script.in

At Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:20:46 -0400,
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Either of these are just as likely to prevent the init.d script from
> running entirely (in fact I'm nearly positive that you won't get
> through rcS with either of these problems).  That's why I don't think
> the init.d script is useful.

You can see another example of this issue: mips sysvipc, amd64 nptl.
Even if rc script does not run through entrirely, users may be able to
see the warning in the first stage: S01glibc.sh.  I think saving such
case is the sufficient reason to add this script.  Note that this
script is not harmful because it just checks a version and outputs the
kernel incompatibility message.  It's a small cost to check
additionally.

My another thought is we can use this message when we drop kernel 2.2
support.  Users are notified by the messages each time when they boot
up before real-drop is happenned.

Regards,
-- gotom