Re: r1026 - in glibc-package/trunk/debian: . debhelper.in local/etc_init.d rules.d script.in

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 12:07:17PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> This commit introduces /etc/init.d/glibc.sh.  This file is invoked
> through /etc/rcS.d/S01glibc.sh, it checks kernel version
> incompatibility with glibc package.  The checking script is used in
> libc.preinst, but now both libc.preinst and /etc/init.d/glibc.sh have
> the detection code.
>
> The purpose of this change is to inspect some problematic kernel
> version numbers, not only libc6 installation time but also during
> kernel booting up.  Check is used for example glibc mets invalid
> kernel version like 2.6.1220050825 or glibc detects pre 2.4.24 running
> kernel on real i386 architecture that does not support an important
> instruction.
>
> I choised to use S01glibc.sh, because this check should be done
> earlier than other scripts invocation.

I don't get it.  What's the point?  Almost 100% of the time, if we need
to complain about a kernel version, things are going to break so badly
that the #!/bin/sh at the top of the script isn't going to work.  So
you're adding more work to the boot process that will pretty much never
do any good...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC