Re: [RFC] Let the locales packaege be a different source package

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 02:26:15PM +0100,  wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 07:46:09PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > At Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:48:56 +0100,
> > Denis Barbier wrote:
> > > This package is optional but cannot be updated because libc6 is frozen
> > > for a long time.  Is there any chance for the locales package to have
> > > its own source package in the future?
> >
> > There's debian/patches/11_cvs_locales.dpatch.  Petter checked and
> > requested to update localedata, and it was occasionally updated.  So
> > it's not synced with the frozen.
> >
> > I think the actual problem is the current release late.  If you review
> > it and update it, please sent patches to the svn/cvs.
> >
> > Unlike timezone data, localedata depends on localedef and glibc
> > behavior, so I don't think it provides us the actual merit.
>
> Last changes are from 2000/06, so this dependency is not very hard to
> handle.
[...]

Err, this statement is obviously wrong.  I hacked my own localedef to
not require recompiling locales when changing iso-*.def files, which
is why I misread the statement above and had only in mind changes in
data format.
Anyway this dependency does indeed exist for now but can be relaxed
quite easily.

Denis