Re: [RFC] Let the locales packaege be a different source package

At Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:48:56 +0100,
Denis Barbier wrote:
> This package is optional but cannot be updated because libc6 is frozen
> for a long time.  Is there any chance for the locales package to have
> its own source package in the future?

There's debian/patches/11_cvs_locales.dpatch.  Petter checked and
requested to update localedata, and it was occasionally updated.  So
it's not synced with the frozen.  I think the actual problem is the
current release late.  If you review it and update it, please sent
patches to the svn/cvs.

Unlike timezone data, localedata depends on localedef and glibc
behavior, so I don't think it provides us the actual merit.  Another
exampel of problem is debian/patches/locale-sr_CS.dpatch which is not
applied currently.  It's currently disabled because glibc's
locale/iso-*.def files are not updated.  I wonder why you don't know
such issue if you want to work for it.

Unicode.org plans to create CLDR and LDML.  If once it's reached to
the quality to replace the current glibc's localedata, we may separate
them from glibc package.  However, the current glibc localedata format
is sometimes changed, so I don't think splitting localedata from glibc
makes much improvement.

BTW, I'm working for glibc experimental package.  I'm sorry it's under
working, but I consume my time for some code reconsiderations because
the current debian glibc has some problematic code and other should be
merged to the upstream.

Regards,
-- gotom