Re: [rfc] alpha-linux changing to 128-bit long double

At Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:26:17 +0000,
James Troup wrote:
> > We're no problem of the transition to libc6.2
>
> Err, really?

Ah, I mean I didn't have any objections to go to libc6.2.

> The last time we tried a libc soname transition was
> years ago, took an entire release, and involved probably only 10% of
> the number of packages it would involve now.

Does this "transition" mean libc5 -> libc6 ?

If so, I guess the transition we're discussing about libc6.2 doesn't
affect so much packages compared with the past libc5 transition.

> Not to mention it was for all architectures - I have no idea how
> this could be sanely done for a single architecture.  Remember you
> have to rename all the library packages...

This transition is only for alpha.

The current ia64 and alpha is libc6.1, and hurd is 0.3.  KFreeBSD is
1.  Then, alpha will become libc6.2.  So I think renaming libc version
number does not need big change.

Regards,
-- gotom