Re: [locales] Solving the "debconf is not a registry" issue

At Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:59:30 +0200,
Denis Barbier wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 05:23:57PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > At Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:11:55 +0200,
> > Denis Barbier wrote:
> > > On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 01:36:16PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Only one empty line is inserted, even if maintainer scripts are run
> > > several times, so I belive it does not hurt.  Of course a better
> > > solution would be to insert an extra newline only if needed, but
> > > I do not know how to determine if a text file contains an EOL at EOF.
> >
> > The simplest way is that we check the last line after generating
> > /etc/locale.gen, and if it's not the empty line, then put an empty
> > line.  Is it OK?
> >
> > ex)
> > 	char=`tail -1 /etc/locale.gen`
> > 	if [ -n "$char" ]; then
> > 		echo
> > 	fi
>
> No, an EOL has to be added if last line is not empty but does not contain
> an EOL.

Hmm, why?

At least I think it's fine compared with an empty line is inserted one
by one.  Or am I missing?

> [...]
> > > We could explain in the Description field how to decrypt locale names, and
> > > keep current list unchanged.
> >
> > I don't think it's good way.  A user has to switch his console and
> > view the list?  It's not intuitive.  So what do you think this kind of
> > displaying?
> >
> > 	[ ] da_DK ISO-8859-1 (Danish/Denmark)
> >
> > It's acceptable, I think.  The only concern is the long
> > language/country name.  In that case, we have to chop the name.  This
> > solution is still untranslatable, though.
>
> I am currently using the readline frontend, and with your solution only
> one (or maybe 2) column will be printed, so the list will be much longer.

If we use readline interface, then 2 column will be shrinked down into
one column.  I don't think it's a big problem because currently
printing all locale name needs to iterate hitting return key.  If it
becomes one column, then hitting return key increases x 2 (And I think
it's not really essential subject to discuss with this.  Look at the
real problem).

> Maybe we could shorten that list by merging all locales for a given language:
>   [ ] Select locales individually
>   [ ] Arabic
>   [ ] Chinese
>   [ ] English
>   [ ] French
>   [ ] German
> etc.

It seems fine but my concern is it's confusable "we can selection en_JP.EUC-JP".

> If selected the first choice will display the current list of locales
> (in an 'expert' mode), otherwise all locales for a given language are
> generated.

If so, how to select the /etc/environment default language name?

> But user must still learn what these locale names mean, because he has
> to choose his default locale.

So I think my proposal is fine to present the locale name and its
language readable name at the same time.  User does not need to refer
the another document.

Regards,
-- gotom