Re: [locales] Solving the "debconf is not a registry" issue

GOTO Masanori wrote:
> It's fine, and in this modification chance, we would like to apply
> #117509 "locales: Message grammar".  Do you think?

Yes, that is a definite improvement.

> >     if db_go; then
> >         STATE=$(($STATE + 1))
> >     else
> >         STATE=$(($STATE - 1))
> >     fi
> > done
>
> I wonder why this STATE transition is needed?

Dennis made the config script use a state machine so it could support
using debconf to back up to the previous question. This is good
practice, if a bit more code. See the debconf-devel(7) man page for
details.

> > if [ "$1" = configure ]; then
>
> Trivial, "configure".

Quoting or not is irrelivant if the word is [a-z]+ :-) Aside from
style..

> >     . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
> >     db_version 2.0
> >
> >     db_get locales/locales_to_be_generated && SELECTED_LOCALES=$RET
> >     db_get locales/default_environment_locale && SELECTED="$RET"
> >
> >     if [ -n "$SELECTED_LOCALES" -a "$SELECTED_LOCALES" != "None" ]; then
> >         if [ -e $LG ]; then
> >             #   Comment previous defined locales
> >             sed -e 's/^[a-zA-Z]/#&/' $LG > $LG.tmp || true
> >             mv -f $LG.tmp $LG
>
> Why are the previous defined locales commented out, not simply removed?

Cnsider a locale.gen that looks like this (a real-world example by the way):

# Estoy en Honduras esta mes.
es_HN ISO-8859-1
# I've been testing translations to German recently, though I don't
# speak it.
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

The nice thing about Dennis's patch is it makes reconfiguration of
locales have the same effect as if you'd edited the file. If I select an
additional language, it is added on to the end. If I decide to get rid
of the dated es_HN entry (not in Honduras any more), it comments it out.
If it merely deleted unused entries, I would be left with this:

# Estoy en Honduras esta mes.
# I've been testing translations to german recently, though I don't
# speak it.
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

No admin would leave the quote behind when removing an entry though, and
this is at best ugly, at worst could be confusing. Instead the code does
a good job of just commenting it out, which keeps it in the context of
the comment.

> >         save_IFS=$IFS
> >         IFS=,
> >         for locale in $list; do
> >             if grep -q "^#$locale *\$" $LG; then
> >                 #   Uncomment previous defined locales
> >                 sed -e "s,#$locale *\$,$locale," $LG > $LG.tmp || true
> >                 mv -f $LG.tmp $LG
> >             else
> >                 #   Never wondered why Emacs sux?
> >                 echo >> $LG
>
> Why is this "empty line" added?

Because of the possibility that some text editor would neglect to add an
empty line at EOF, resulting in a corrupt file after append. I suggested
Dennis add something to deal with that. I'd remove the Emacs comment
tho. :-)

> >                 #   Add a new locale
> >                 echo $locale >> $LG
> >             fi
> >         done
> >         IFS=$save_IFS
> >
> >         # Update requested locales.  Remove all old locale dir and
> >         # locale-archive before generating new locale data.
> >         rm -rf /usr/lib/locale/* || true
> >         /usr/sbin/locale-gen
> >     fi
> >
> >     # Set default LANG environment variable
> >     if [ -e $EE ]; then
> >         sed -e '/^ *LANG=/d' $EE > $EE.tmp || true
> >     else
> >         :> $EE.tmp
> >     fi
> >     if [ -n "$SELECTED" ] && [ "$SELECTED" != "None" ]; then
> >         echo "LANG=$SELECTED" >> $EE.tmp
> >         mv -f $EE.tmp $EE
> >     else
> >         rm -f $EE.tmp
> >     fi
> > fi
>
> From my test, there was one bug.  If I unselected all locales in the
> first selection, but it was not reflected into /etc/locale.gen.

Hmm, yes, I guess if it does not enter the for loop since the list is
empty, it will not modify the file. I havn't run the code, I only
eyeballed it.

--
see shy jo