Re: 2.3.2-1

At Tue, 13 May 2003 09:31:05 -0700,
Randolph Chung wrote:
> > A lot of people use ix86.  It's majority.  It may be radical
> > statement, but I think ix86 user's priority is higher than minor
> > architecture breakage.  Many users don't know except for ix86 :-)
>
> this is not a democracy :) if we are going to go the route of "x86 is
> 95% of the users, so let's treat x86 special", then we might as well
> drop support for all the other architectures.

Usually "democracy" adopts "rule of majority" :)

Well, the wonderful feature of debian is its number of supported
architecture.  I believe we really provide the infrastructure for the
minor architecture.

> > BTW, what is the status for hppa?  If it's not so much, I would like
> > to help you, AFAIC.
>
> Carlos will have a better overall view of what's needed for glibc. I've
> looked at the nptl part of it a bit. There is work needed for binutils,
> gcc and glibc. I will be discussing this more with Carlos and Dave (our
> gcc/binutils upstream maintainer) during gcc-summit at the end of this
> month.
>
> There is a preliminary design for NPTL for hppa. The first step to get
> this to work is for us to agree on a workable design for implementing
> this. I hope to get that done by the end of the month.

Excellent.  I hope you and Carlos work for toolchain to be available
hppa back soon.  BTW, I would like to know that hppa unwind issue
needs to modify gcc/binutils?

Regards,
-- gotom