Re: 2.3.2-1

> I don't know what a good answer is.  How much do we compensate for
> porters who don't take care of their toolchain?

One of the great things about the Debian release policy IMO is that we
do a good job at really supporting the dozen or so architectures we
claim to support. We do not compromise and say that it's ok to release
something that only works on i386, when another architecture is
lagging behind. If you upload glibc-2.3.2 to sarge, all that will do
is cause a large number of bugs to be filed against various packages
because they will not build on mips, hppa, etc... how does that help
anyone or anything?

For the most part, the porters are working very hard at keeping things
in sync (look at the stats on buildd.d.o ....). I can't think of a
single architecture where the porters are neglecting their port. That
said, some architectures do need more help than others because of lack
of upstream support, etc.... if anyone would like to help do the NPTL
work for hppa, please contact me. There have been various discussions
about this between Carlos and myself, but it's not something that will
happen in a few weeks' time.

randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports