Re: [locales] Solving the "debconf is not a registry" issue

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 05:23:57PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> At Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:11:55 +0200,
> Denis Barbier wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 01:36:16PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Thanks for your patch!  This change is ok for me.  I've committed in.
> > > BTW, each line still inserts the empty line, though.
> >
> > Only one empty line is inserted, even if maintainer scripts are run
> > several times, so I belive it does not hurt.  Of course a better
> > solution would be to insert an extra newline only if needed, but
> > I do not know how to determine if a text file contains an EOL at EOF.
>
> The simplest way is that we check the last line after generating
> /etc/locale.gen, and if it's not the empty line, then put an empty
> line.  Is it OK?
>
> ex)
> 	char=`tail -1 /etc/locale.gen`
> 	if [ -n "$char" ]; then
> 		echo
> 	fi

No, an EOL has to be added if last line is not empty but does not contain
an EOL.

[...]
> > We could explain in the Description field how to decrypt locale names, and
> > keep current list unchanged.
>
> I don't think it's good way.  A user has to switch his console and
> view the list?  It's not intuitive.  So what do you think this kind of
> displaying?
>
> 	[ ] da_DK ISO-8859-1 (Danish/Denmark)
>
> It's acceptable, I think.  The only concern is the long
> language/country name.  In that case, we have to chop the name.  This
> solution is still untranslatable, though.

I am currently using the readline frontend, and with your solution only
one (or maybe 2) column will be printed, so the list will be much longer.

Maybe we could shorten that list by merging all locales for a given language:
  [ ] Select locales individually
  [ ] Arabic
  [ ] Chinese
  [ ] English
  [ ] French
  [ ] German
etc.

If selected the first choice will display the current list of locales
(in an 'expert' mode), otherwise all locales for a given language are
generated.
But user must still learn what these locale names mean, because he has
to choose his default locale.

Denis