re: work for glibc 2.2.5-14

gotom,
    Could we possibly hold off on 2.2.5-14 until gcc 3.2 is
officially released? Each debian arch will need to carefully
evaluate what sort of libgcc-compat patches they will need
for building with gcc-3.2. Currently only ppc has its
libgcc-compat patches in glibc-2-2-branch (I think that
ia64 has theirs in only the main trunk of glibc cvs).
Franz Sirl is trying to get a fixup of libgcc symbol versioning
into gcc 3.2. Once that happens he will be pushing revised
libgcc-compat patches into glibc-2-2-branch for ppc. This process
has been a bit hairy as we have tickled a couple of binutils
bugs that HJ Lu just fixed.
     Anyway if you want to read more on this libgcc-compat I posted
a message in...

http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2002/debian-gcc-200208/msg00054.html

I have been doing test builds here locally under debian ppc sid,
of binutils 2.13.90.0.3+HJ's patches, glibc 2.2.5-13+Franz's revised
libgcc-compat patches and gcc 3.2+Franz's proposed symbol versioning
fixup. It all seems to be working fine here but we will need
about a week to get everything into place in the appropriate cvs's.
                                  Jack
As Franz has been most agressive in getting all of the ppc stuff
in place for gcc 3.2, I am hoping we can let ppc be the first arch
to switch over and other arches can then review what changes Franz
made to glibc and decide what they need to do for the transition.