Re: work for glibc 2.2.5-14

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 10:19:12PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
> gotom,
>     Could we possibly hold off on 2.2.5-14 until gcc 3.2 is
> officially released? Each debian arch will need to carefully
> evaluate what sort of libgcc-compat patches they will need
> for building with gcc-3.2. Currently only ppc has its
> libgcc-compat patches in glibc-2-2-branch (I think that
> ia64 has theirs in only the main trunk of glibc cvs).
> Franz Sirl is trying to get a fixup of libgcc symbol versioning
> into gcc 3.2. Once that happens he will be pushing revised
> libgcc-compat patches into glibc-2-2-branch for ppc. This process
> has been a bit hairy as we have tickled a couple of binutils
> bugs that HJ Lu just fixed.

It won't happen, I think.  No one else is convinced that it matters and
GCC 3.2 is now three weeks overdue.

I suspect some of the other PPC distributions will adopt it, but if the
FSF GCC refuses I will fight to prevent us from picking them up.
Gratuitous binary compatibility breaks are _bad_!

--
Daniel Jacobowitz