Re: glibc development

> > I'm trying to setup a debian machine for development and I just can't get
> > glibc-2.2.3 to build on potato.
>
> Plain and simple, you need the gcc and binutils from unstable (not
> testing) to build current glibc. No way around it.

Even if I'm already using the latest version (from tarballs) of
binutils?

This is what the glibc INSTALL file says about binutils:

   * GNU `binutils' 2.10.1 or later

Here's my ld version:

  GNU ld 2.11

and my as version:

  GNU assembler 2.11

Building latest GCC's is the main reason I want to build glibc.
GCC 3.0 seems to need the latest version of glibc.

Here's the gcc version I have installed:

  2.95.2

The glibc INSTALL file says this about GCC:
  * GCC 2.95 or newer
  The GNU C library can only be compiled with the GNU C compiler
  family.  As of the 2.2 release, GCC 2.95.2 or higher is required.
  As of this writing, GCC 2.95.3 is the compiler we advise to use.

I have 2.95.2 which should be ok.

Note: I am NOT trying to install a debian package to do this, just
install glibc on a debian system.

Any other possible problems?

Nic