glibc development

I'm trying to setup a debian machine for development and I just can't get
glibc-2.2.3 to build on potato.

In the past I've used debian-unstable for doing development, the
trouble is I find that, well, too unstable.

I considered using debian-testing but the stuff I'm working on
(network implementation layer for GCJ) generally means I have to look
at source code anyway so it's easier if I just build from source.

Or that's what I thought.
<<<<background

Here's what I've done:

- installed a completly fresh potato ("development" task)
- updated autoconf, automake, libtool and binutils to the latest versions
(via distrib downloads)
- downloaded the glibc-2.2.3 distrib
- downloaded the linuxthreads distrib and set it up correctly
- downloaded and built the linux kernel 2.2.19 (but not installed)
- configured the glibc with:
    --with-headers=<location-of-linux-headers>
    --enable-add-ons
- built glibc
- run glibc's make check

Unfortunately "make check" fails saying:
  "can't work out user name for id XXXX"

I can fix that by changing the NSS config slightly but that breaks
debian and anyway, "make check" simply fails a bit further on
compaining about some posix issue.

I presume that I'm missing a library so I added testing (where
glibc-2.2.3 is available) to my sources.list and did this:
  apt-get -s install glibc-2.2.3

This reported no new packages (it did report new packages but I have
them all, I presume that there are some versioning issues).

Here's a list of some of the relevant installed packages:

g++            2.95.2-13
gcc            2.95.2-13
libc6          2.1.3-18
libc6-dev      2.1.3-18
libdb2         2.4.14-2.7.7.1
libdb2-util    2.4.14-2.7.7.1
libgdbmg1      1.7.3-26.2
libident       0.22-2
liblockfile1   1.01
libltdl0       1.3.3-9.1
libltdl0-dev   1.3.3-9.1
libncurses4    4.2-9
libncurses5    5.0-6.0potato1
libncurses5-de 5.0-6.0potato1
libnet-telnet- 3.01-2
libstdc++2.10  2.95.2-13
libstdc++2.10- 2.95.2-13
libstdc++2.9-g 2.91.66-4

Please, please, please help. I just don't know what to do next.

Nic Ferrier