Re: debhelper compatibility

On 1/12/21 6:46 PM, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 04:43:10PM +0100, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 1/12/21 4:06 PM, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>>> I noticed that most (all?) of the d-gis packages still use dh level 10
>>> as the base one, while 12 was yet available in buster to. Is that a
>>> precise choice for backporting onto old releases or what?
>>

>> It was bumped to 10 because 9 now triggers lintian issues in Debian,
>> although I would have preferred to stick with 9 until xenial is EOL in
>> April 2021.
>>
>> During the bookwork development cycle we can switch to compat level 12
>> which is available for bionic in backports, using 11 is not recommended
>> so we'll skip that. Until changes in debhelper and/or lintian force us
>> to, we'll stick to compat level 10 though.
>>

> Clear, I was playing around with dh level and found that the dh_missing
> does not like multiple calls of dh_auto_install with different build
> systems as for geographiclib, so I suspect that would trigger most of
> the changes
> around in d/rules, because most of the changes are about init/systemd
> files.
>
> In the meantime, I think I could prepare some branches
> for that, for future merges. Did you already experimented with 12?

Not for GIS packages, I did recently update some Perl packages to 12
with PDL being a nasty one to get working with 12.

Antonio uses compat level 12 for most if not all of his packages, but
those tend to be pretty straightforward Python packages.

Why do you want to bump the compat level to 12 already? There is not
much to gain, and the timing so shortly before the soft freeze is far
from ideal for these kind of changes.

Your time is probably better spent on triaging RC issues or other
release related preparation instead of changes like these which won't
find their way into unstable until after the release of bullseye.