Re: Debian GIS Salsa membership request

On 8/24/18 6:25 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 24/08/18 11:05, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> So I figured you're going to maintain that packages as part of the
>> multimedia-team on Salsa where they have the repo for the old package:
>>
>>  https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team/wxsvg
>
> On 24/08/18 10:49, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
>> Forgive me the ignorance, but wouldn't it make more sense to package the
>> wx* packages in the wx team?
>> https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=team%2Bwx%40tracker.debian.org
>> Not sure they are open to it, but you might as well ask...
>
> So, we have four packages.
>
>  opencpn - belongs to GIS
>  unarr - a simple C++ library,  why not in GIS?
>  wxsvg - currently maintained in deb-multimedia... I buy that.
>     But it's also a wx* package...
>  wxcurl -  A wx* package, so  perhaps in the wx group.
>
> Now, if I could find a way to avoid three different SIG:s that would
> make it easier. My thinking: talk to deb-multimedia about wxsvg, having
> the others here at GIS.

That's the current state of things.

Everything other than opencpn can have more suitable teams as they are
generic packages, nothing GIS specific. unarr is a compression software,
nothing GIS specific about that. wx{svg,curl} are part of the WX
graphics stack, again nothing GIS specific about it.

Maintaining dependencies for GIS packages in the team is fine to avoid
having a different team involved. As long as they didn't have a history
in another team and that team is still functional.

The three dependencies of opencpn will be orphaned when opencpn is no
longer maintained, as there will be no one left in the team to care for
them. In a more suitable team it is more likely that another member will
be willing to take over maintenance.