Re: MySQL support removed from GDAL & GRASS

On 09/07/2016 10:33 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> Thanks to the lovely mess created by the MySQL/MariaDB maintainers,
> MySQL support has been removed from GDAL & GRASS.
>
> If there is sufficient user demand, I may be persuaded to reinstate it
> at a later time after the MySQL/MariaDB maintainers have fixed their
> packages on all release architectures.

The mariadb-10.0 packages now builds successfully on mips64el thanks to
patches from James Cowgill, one of the MIPS porters, in #838557. It does
still FTBFS on most ports which will make gdal & grass unbuildable there
when the default-mysqlclient-dev dependency is added, this is
regrettable but not a blocker.

The MariaDB maintainers have notified the Release Team that MariaDB 10.2
is now in beta and about to be released in December, and have indicated
that the default-mysql* metapackages will be switched to the 10.2
packages when they're uploaded to unstable in December. See:

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2016/10/msg00065.html

They have not answered the question from the Release Team about what
that means for the client library. This makes me hesitant to reinstate
the MySQL/MariaDB support in GDAL & GRASS already, as it may break with
10.2. There has also been no user demand expressed for the MySQL/MariaDB
support other than by Paul Norman. I will therefore leave out the
MySQL/MariaDB support for the time being, at least until more details
about MariaDB 10.2 are known. If MariaDB 10.2 arrives late in December
(when the mandatory 10-day migrations are in effect), it may be too late
to get the updated gdal & grass packages into stretch.

We will likely not have MySQL/MariaDB support for GDAL & GRASS in
stretch, if it turns out that stable users do have demand for that
support but only express it after the release, we can reinstate it for
buster (the stable release after stretch).