Re: MySQL support removed from GDAL & GRASS

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 09/07/2016 10:33 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> Thanks to the lovely mess created by the MySQL/MariaDB maintainers,
> MySQL support has been removed from GDAL & GRASS.
>
> If there is sufficient user demand, I may be persuaded to reinstate it
> at a later time after the MySQL/MariaDB maintainers have fixed their
> packages on all release architectures.

Hi Bas,

Thanks for your work on gdal so far.

I didn't reply immediately as i thought it was better to give the maintainers some time to fix their packages.

I don't use mysql/mariadb myself for geo, but since it is a widely used database and the geospatial capabilities have improved a lot over recent releases(see eg the presentation at FOSDEM [1], I think it would be a pity that we don't include it in gdal. Using ogr2ogr is actually one of the only sensible ways to put geospatial data into mysql.

Kind Regards,
Johan
[1] https://archive.fosdem.org/2016/schedule/event/geo_mysql/