Re: OSSIM packaging (Was: OTB)

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 11-12-15 09:07, Rashad Kanavath wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 09-12-15 18:21, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>> specifically what had to be done for ossim?
>>
>> Unfortunately a lot. The current packaging uses a custom upstream
>> tarball from SVN, but the published upstream tarball should be used now.
>>
>> That contains a lot more that just the ossim sources currently used by
>> the package, so an extensive update to the copyright file is required
>> plus possible repacking of non-free bits. The packaging needs to be
>> updated to build ossim from the ossim subdirectory instead of the root
>> (using the dh --sourcedirectory option) at the minimum.
>>

> can't we repack the ossim source and take out just ossim-core. ?
>
> I can take up this task if nobody is there. So far I found the following
> issues:

Which issues are those? You didn't include any in your mail.

oops..
There are issue with embedded sources inside ossim

GeoTrans
shapelib
matrix lib

But in the debian/copyright file, I found notes explaining these stuff.
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/ossim.git/tree/debian/copyright#n171

I've looked at OSSIM 1.8.20-1 again, and the licensing is a mess. The
website claims that the code is under the LGPL-3, but most files
reference the top-level LICENSE.txt which contains the MIT/Expat license
terms. Some files claim the license is LGPL and reference the top-level
LICENSE.txt which is the aforementioned MIT/Expat license.

The current license is MIT for ossim-core. This is given incorrectly in the website.

Note that there are some part of the code which are still under LPGL-2. ossim-plugins for instance. There are mostly thirdparty code contributed by OTB and others for reading specific format such as hdf, raw, kakadu etc.. That never will come under ossim-core.

Ossim always "ships" a single archive with everything rather than seperate packages for ossim-core, ossimplanet etc..

I think the focus of packaging will be on ossim-core not others. This is enough for atleast thirdparties such as OTB and opticks.

Any update of OSSIM in Debian requires that the upstream developers fix
this licensing mess.

Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

--
Regards,
   Rashad