Re: GDAL/OGR 1.11.2

On 25-05-15 14:49, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> As mentioned in the SpatiaLite thread [1] we need to get the gdal
> transition moving again to get the spatialite_init_ex() support in GDAL.
>
> We have GDAL 1.11.2 in experimental for a while now, and thanks to Johan
> it made its way into Ubuntu already too. To make room for GDAL 2.0 in
> experimental we need to get 1.11.2 into unstable.

Many months have passed in which jessie was frozen and released, and now
thanks to the GCC 5 transitions we finally have GDAL 1.11.2 in unstable.

GDAL upstream is planning to release 1.11.3 and 2.0.1 soon. Depending on
how easy the GDAL 2.0 issues in the reverse dependencies can be fixed,
I'll upload 1.11.3 to experimental shortly after its release or 2.0.1
instead.

At least merkaartor is know not to support GDAL 2.0, its upstream
development died some years ago but has recently been picked up by the
OpenStreetMap community again (See: http://www.merkaartor.be/).

The merkaartor package is probably best moved to the Debian GIS team and
updated to use the new releases on GitHub. I've mailed Bernd a couple of
times in the past, but never got a reply. I've just tried again via #731118.

Depending on the results of my rebuilds with GDAL 2.0, we may stick to
GDAL 1.11.x in Debian a bit longer. Which ever version we take it will
require a new transition.