Re: Transitions [WAS: Re: SpatiaLite 4.2.1 and the wider spatialite family]

On 05/24/2015 11:10 AM, Ross Gammon wrote:
> A quick scan of the PTS/tracker showed that it is possible we might
> get tangled with some other minor transitions. It would be good to
> start as early as possible because new conflicts will pop up over
> time.

I'm currently rebuilding all gdal rdepends to verify they still work,
once that's done I'll contact the Release Team to restart the gdal
transition.

> If the netcdf packages pop out of NEW soon, that is quite a large
> one to manage as well.

I expect a lot of issue with the netcdf transition, so I'd really like
to have finished the gdal & spatialite transitions before that.

For spatialite we may not want to wait for the final 4.2.1 release and
revert back to 4.2.0 for unstable to get that transition moving
sooner. We need a more recent libspatialite than 4.1.1 to have gdal
use the spatialite_init_ex() method.

I'd like to hear opinions what others consider the best course of
action with respect to the spatialite segfault issue and related
transition(s).

> Let me know if I can help with preparing any packages so they are
> ready to go when we get the nod.

There is not much left to do on the packaging, although for the
spatialite_init() issue there is a big need to porting reverse
dependencies to use spatialite_init_ex() instead. Both pyspatialite
and qgis lack support for the spatialite_init_ex(), gdal only needs an
update to 1.11.x.

- --