Re: Is anybody really watching UbuntuGIS thermometer?

On 11/14/2014 11:57 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> by chance I noticed that the packages on
>
>    http://blends.debian.org/gis/thermometer/ubuntu_debian-gis_thermometer.html
>
> were *very* outdated for Ubuntu.  However, Ubuntu was not to blame about
> this but rather the release names I hardcoded in the thermometer code.
> I seriously whether anybody is watching this page since nobody reported
> this problem ...

I have not been using the thermometer up to now when looking for
something to do, but that is probably because I tend to jump to the QA
page from the PTS, and to the Maintainer Dashboard from there (and
probably because I have a package that doesn't really fit into a blend).
But the thermometer is now bookmarked! I can see that it has the
advantage of showing relevant unpackaged applications (one of which I
have begun working on again).

> However, I enhanced the code to always pick the last three release names
> available in UDD.  This currently leads to the fact that the release "in
> development" (currently vivid) is taken into account for the version
> comparison.  I'm not sure if this is what the users of the thermometer
> (if there are any - see above) really want to see or whether the
> comparison rather should be done to the latest released version
> (currently utopic).

Of course it would be great to have the Ubuntu GIS PPAs (Bas mentions on
other thread) if we can work that in eventually. But I like the addition
of the latest Ubuntu development release (currently vivid) because I do
like to help out every six months with syncs and merges for the Ubuntu
releases (at least when there isn't a parallel Debian release :-).

> Please provide a proper specification to make this tool as useful as
> possible.
>
> Kind regards
>
>       Andreas.

Regards,