Re: Is anybody really watching UbuntuGIS thermometer?

Hi Bas,

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 03:15:36PM +0100, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> > Please provide a proper specification to make this tool as useful as
> > possible.
>
> The Ubuntu thermometer would be more useful when it monitors the
> UbuntuGIS PPAs instead of or in addition to the Ubuntu archive. The
> UbuntuGIS team doesn't upload their packages to Ubuntu itself, but to
> their PPAs:
>
> - ubuntugis-stable
>   https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>
> - ubuntugis-testing
>   https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-testing
>
> - ubuntugis-unstable
>   https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-unstable

Hmmm, the current thermometer is based on data in UDD and these PPA data
are not included in UDD (as you write below).

> Ideally these PPAs are monitored and compared to Debian
> testing/unstable/experimental and Debian GIS VCS. That way the Ubuntu
> GIS team can see which packages they can update in their PPAs, and the
> Debian GIS team can see which packages from Ubuntu GIS aren't in Debian
> yet or have newer versions.

I agree that this would be a sensible specification.  However, it was
neither in the original thermometer implementation nor was there any
request to do this when I introduced this UDD based reimplementation.

> This first requires a script to feed the PPA information into UDD. I
> briefly looked into that a while back when the Ubuntu thermometer was
> introduced but never followed up on that by developing said script. UUD
> was very new territory for me back then, it still is but a little less now.

I assume that it would not be very hard technically.  But I think it
would need some discussion first, whether we really like to include
some "random" PPA.

> Based on the UDD schema there is still no generic PPA data gatherer. So
> introducing it still requires to extend the schema. Duplicating the
> ubuntu_* tables and adding a column to reference the respective PPAs,
> and an ubuntu_ppa table for the metadata.

Yes, something like this would be needed.

> While the above is not a proper specification, I think it gets the idea
> across.

Definitely.  However, the fact that people did not even watched the
current thermometer closely nor issued your in principle very sensible
request for enhancement does not motivate me to implement this in the
near future.  However, this might change in case the Debian Med PPA
might gain some importance.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--