Re: Let's bring the OSGeo live packages to debian!

Hi Johan,

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 09:48:29PM +0200, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> One of the goals for OSGeo live 8 was having more programs packaged as
> deb files. Although we are still far from installing everything from
> deb at least some programs were packaged, and this actually helped the
> build process a lot.
>
> With OSGeo live version 8 released, perhaps now is a good time to make
> sure those packages get into debian as well.

+1 (... and I wished I'd have more votes than only 1 ;-))

> The steps that you need to do are well documented in the packaging
> pages of the debian GIS policy [1]. I'd suggest that everyone who
> currently has a package or wants to build a package at least does the
> first step: filing an ITP bug. This is just a way to make sure that
> nobody else starts doing the same thing without contacting you.

As people who are working in Debian GIS team know I tried to do my best
to sponsor any package prepared by people who do not (yet) have upload
permission to the Debian mirror.  Please trust me that once a package
is prepared the last step to the mirror will go quite smoothly.

> Debian freeze is approaching (5th of november), so better no
> procrastination, or your package will not be in the next release :-)

I admit that reaching this deadline is even now *very* hard except our
brave ftpmasters will get some doping or a time travel device to enhance
their ability to accept new packages.  To my estimation there is a short
window of opportunity of maximum two weeks with a vague chance to reach
Jessie right in time.

Despite this there is no point not to migrate packages to Debian.
Ubuntu is forking Debian unstable every sic monthes and the more
packages you get via Ubunti the better for your live CD, right?

> So for those of you sitting at a boring talk at foss4g or cannot sleep
> after having had many great talks: start bringing packages to debian
> :-)

:-))

Kind regards

          Andreas.