Re: libhdf4

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi Johan,
>
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 01:46:48PM +0200, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
>> I noticed that libhdf4 hasn't had an update for a while, a number of
>> bugs and even a more recent release packaged in ubuntu.
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libhdf4/4.2r10-0ubuntu1
>
> Thanks for spotting this. Hopefully you will be able to drain from this
> packaging some helpful hints. I admit that I'm really concerned about
> these uncoordinated effort at "third places". Please invite the
> maintainer of this package to work together with us in Debian GIS
> repository. When you do so please make pretty clear that his work will
> be regarded nicely and I'm volunteering to sponsor his work to the
> official Debian mirror.

Actually the package was made by a debian developer (doko), after sending different patches to the bug tracker.He did actually write a bug report to inform that a new version was there.
I think the main interest of ubuntu was having arm64 ready, I can understand at some point you prefer packaging yourself than keeping up with debian maintainers who don't reply...