Re: libhdf4

Hi Johan,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 01:46:48PM +0200, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> I noticed that libhdf4 hasn't had an update for a while, a number of
> bugs and even a more recent release packaged in ubuntu.
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libhdf4/4.2r10-0ubuntu1

Thanks for spotting this.  Hopefully you will be able to drain from this
packaging some helpful hints.  I admit that I'm really concerned about
these uncoordinated effort at "third places".  Please invite the
maintainer of this package to work together with us in Debian GIS
repository.  When you do so please make pretty clear that his work will
be regarded nicely and I'm volunteering to sponsor his work to the
official Debian mirror.

> Is there a reason why we didn't do this update?

I have no idea - usually the answer is lack of manpower wich never will
be fixed by this kind of uncoordinated efforts.

> Otherwise I'd like to proceed and bring this version to debian as soon
> as possible (before the transition freeze). Or are we too late
> already?

I do not think so.  Just feel free to ping me if you are in need of
sponsering.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--