Re: libLAS 1.8.0

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 12:51:58AM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> I've addressed some of the lintian issues, but I'm not looking forward
> to fixing all the lintian issues. Especially writing the many man pages

While I agree that having a manpage for each executable in /usr/bin is a
nice thing to have sometimes you have to balance what might be more in
the interest of our users:  Waiting for ages until a packages goes out
equipped with a full set of manpaged or just providing something that
works in a timely manner.  Several times I decided for the later.

> and overhauling the libraries to use symbols files and separate packages
> for each library.

Same here.  I admit I stopped providing symbols files for all library
packages I feel responsible for.  Admittedly they are not heavily used
and are not featuring a lot of dependant packages but these symbols
files created such a high maintenance burden that I decided to drop
these.

Regarding the separated libraries I would also take a pragmatic point of
view.  It takes two times time:  First you need to work on the packaging
and than it needs to pass new queue.  I'm not sure if this is rectified
for a basically cosmetic change and if we should delay this until after
the release.

> I don't think we should wait much longer to upload the recent changes.

+1

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--