Re: Running git-buildpackage on different branch

On 05/06/2014 08:47 AM, Jochen Topf wrote:
> My goal is this: Instead of waiting for upstream to do a release before
> doing the packaging, I want to try out packaging when I know a release
> is coming. Waiting for the release means any changes I have to do for
> the Debian package or any other problems I happen to stumble upon while
> packaging will only be in the next upstream release and have to be kept
> in patches in the mean time. Plenty of opportunity for things to be
> forgotten or getting mixed up.
>
> It seems to me much more natural and in the spirit of cooperation between
> Debian and Upstream to check packaging before the release and immediately
> clear any problems with Upstream. That way once the release comes, it is
> easy and straightforward to release the new Debian version.
>
> But for that I need an easy way to test whether packages build correctly,
> check lintian results etc. Any suggestions how I can do that?

Import the current upstream sources as pre-release versions into the
upstream branch.

If upstream provides official pre-releases in the form of alpha, beta or
RC releases, the process should be fairly straightforward.

Without the official pre-releases you can use the git commit date as
pre-release version number, e.g. 1.0.0~git20140506-1 for the upstream
sources before the official 1.0.0 release.

> Jochen

 GPG Key ID: 4096R/E88D4AF1