Re: Running git-buildpackage on different branch

On Mo, Mai 05, 2014 at 10:51:11 +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 05/05/2014 10:10 PM, Jochen Topf wrote:

> >> git-buildpackages uses both the upstream branch to generate the
> >> orig.tar.gz and a debian specific branch to generate the diff for the
> >> debian directory.
> >>
> >> --git-upstream-branch only uses a different branch than the default
> >> ("upstream"), you need to specify an alternate branch that includes the
> >> debian directory with --git-debian-branch.
> >
> > But I want to use the debian stuff from the normal debian branch!?
> >
> > Anyway, whatever I put on the --git-upstream-tree or --git-upstream-branch
> > options, it is all ignored. Even if it is not a branch but some random
> > string, it just happily builds what it always builds. Shouldn't it at
> > least complain if the branch doesn't exist?
>
> What you seem to want is similar to the old svn-buildpackage workflow,
> where you fetch the tarball from upstream (in this case the upstream git
> branch) and merge that with the changes for the debian directory from
> the repository.
>
> The current git-buildpackage workflow doesn't keep the debian directory
> and upstream source separated. You can configure git-buildpackage to
> support merging the debian changes with the upstream source before
> building the package, but that's not something we're using now.
>
> When you use git-buildpackage with a different upstream branch than from
> which the debian branch descends it will create the upstream orig.tar.gz
> from the specified upstream branch, but build the package with the
> upstream source and debian directory from the debian branch. This is
> wrong, but currently not warned about by git-buildpackage.

My goal is this: Instead of waiting for upstream to do a release before
doing the packaging, I want to try out packaging when I know a release
is coming. Waiting for the release means any changes I have to do for
the Debian package or any other problems I happen to stumble upon while
packaging will only be in the next upstream release and have to be kept
in patches in the mean time. Plenty of opportunity for things to be
forgotten or getting mixed up.

It seems to me much more natural and in the spirit of cooperation between
Debian and Upstream to check packaging before the release and immediately
clear any problems with Upstream. That way once the release comes, it is
easy and straightforward to release the new Debian version.

But for that I need an easy way to test whether packages build correctly,
check lintian results etc. Any suggestions how I can do that?

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen@remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298