upstream "debian" directory

One major issue seems to be the question of a "debian" directory in upstream
repositories. Upstream maintainers like it but it is a bit of a hassle for
Debian package maintainers.

Currently I know of three options:

1. Francesco has proposed to give the "debian" directory in upstream a
   different name and use a "make debian" target or so to create a symlink
   to it when needed.
2. Andreas has proposed to have it in a special git branch in upstream.
3. It can stay in place and we try to keep it in sync as much as possible
   with the "debian" directory in the official Debian repository. That's
   the way Sebastiaan and I just went with the osmpbf package.

With options 1 and 2 Debian maintainers basically just don't see that upstream
debian dir and can do their own thing. No hassle with keeping the different
"debian" directories apart. But they might overlook changes in upstream debian
configurations which might be important. In case of option 2 those changes are
probably slightly more difficult to see than in option 1. On the other hand
option 2 doesn't rely on a symlink and specific scripts or makefiles to do the
build.

On the other hand with option 3 we can use git tools ("git diff" for instance)
to easily see changes and keep everything in sync.

I don't have enough experience with all this to have a real opinion here.

Anybody else? Opinions? Suggestions?

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen@remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298